- React.js will remain popular – a still the best-recognized UI library that does a great job of crafting a complex and easy-to-scale web and mobile solution. Its popularity, but also wide usefulness, is reflected in the use of React.js in building websites such as Facebook, Instagram, or Skype. 2021 appears to be the year in which even more applications are going to be crafted React.js core.
In simple words, visual libraries allow you to create advanced tools for visualization, including data visualization. Thanks to the understanding of data illustrated by charts, diagrams, or tables, business people can make the right decisions and build development strategies.
Benefits of data visualization libraries
For a better understanding of why you should pay attention to JS visualization libraries, consider the following benefits:
- A wide range of diagrams and chart types enable to suit the needs of almost any business.
- Possibility to build highly responsive tools to be used both within the browser and in the mobile version.
- Matching the appropriate library to the framework supports comfortable work with the code.
- Creation of data visualization maps and charts for information processing – it enables the creation of interactive dashboards. They include performance metrics or tools for developing statistics to support making business decisions.
- Handling canvas – the visualization libraries make it easy to draw the elements on the canvas and to support them. It is one of the characteristic features used in visualization, used in GoJS for instance.
- Database management – effective database management allows you to read, create, delete, edit or sort data. When working with extensive databases, JS visualization libraries offer the usage of queries, self-creating tables, data synchronization, and validation.
- Simplify forms functionality – JS visualization libraries provide validation, timing, handling, conditional capabilities, field controls, transforming layouts, and more.
- Use of animations and image effects – apart from the obvious interactivity building, JS visualization libraries allow you to add micro-interactions and animations. While handling static graphics, you can add almost any visual effects, such as blurring, lightening, embossing, sharpening, etc.
- Adaptation of the user interface and its components – properly designed UX increases responsiveness and dynamics. Additionally, it can contribute to reducing the number of DOM operations or boosting page speed.
Indicating databases 1000+ of data
If you work with an enormous amount of data in your resources, visual libraries help to sort out the chaos. Assuming that your databases contain 1000 or more individual pieces of information to be processed, the usage of an appropriate JS visualization library and virtualization options will allow you to collapse them (e.g., to 10 nodes) enabling a comprehensive view. . Having this amount of data, you don’t have to aggregate them on the webserver. You are capable of managing such amounts of data with well-chosen libraries.
When working with databases, flexibility is a factor that facilitates the use of data. Ask yourself how flexible a library do you need? If you intend to expand your tool or assume the development of a database, then choose solutions that will allow you to present your data legibly, regardless of the complexity level of the information processed. JS visual libraries flexibility can be measured by the amount of different-source data. The more data can be used, the more flexible the visual library is.
If you want to match the feel and look of your application to brand standards, choose the library that will allow full UI and UX customization. However, when it comes to implementing portal functionality customization, it is worth being able to modify the portal’s navigation or add new functionalities to portal pages. Of course, if you want to apply advanced UI customization, recognize the possibilities of adding s view replacement, new pages using custom activity spaces. Recognition of advanced UI customization tools and additional components will result in a more advanced version of the tool.
Custom tools, as well as ready-made ones, should ensure appropriate responsiveness in both the Web and Mobile versions. By taking care of proper operation on various device types, you won’t omit anything.
Do you use several data sources at the same time? To ensure the correct flow of information between them, it is necessary to use API integration. API integrations power processes throughout many high-performing businesses that keep data in sync, enhance productivity, and drive revenue.
Highcharts allows you to create stocks or general timeline charts for web and mobile apps. It features sophisticated navigation, annotation, and client-side analytics with over 40 built-in Technical Indicators.
You can build interactive maps for any kind of data linked to geography with the great support of interactive dashboards.
For a better Gantt charts experience, Highcharts enables to easily build interactive charts for allocating, coordinating, and displaying tasks, events, and resources with a robust JS library.
Highcharts supports the creation of various charts such as:
• Line charts d3 based
• Spline charts
• Area charts
• Areaspline charts
• Column charts
• Bar charts
• Pie charts
• Scatter charts
• Angular gauges
• Arearange charts
• Areasplinerange charts
• Columnrange charts
• Polar charts
Compatible with modern browsers, including mobile and tables, it serves dynamic functionalities for modifications such as adding, removing, series modification, and points or modifying axes.
Price: Free for non-commercial use, demos upon request, starts from $ 535.
• Integration with your databases.
• Selecting the correct type of chart.
• Deep interactivity with drill-down and filtration
If you are a developer, you will appreciate the following functionalities:
• Integration with external services and other UI components
• Compatibility with various types of devices, OS, and frameworks
• Incremental loading + smart cache create a stable and quick solution when working with big data
Price: free 30-days demo, then by the quote
The USP was the support for non-SVG browsers, focused on commercial activity around draw.io. mxGraph is pretty much feature complete, production tested in many large enterprises, and stable for many years.
From the client’s side, there’s a need for the webserver to deliver the required files to the client. Also, the files can be delivered from the local filesystem without a web server.
The back-ends, on the other hand, can be used without any further actions to be taken, or, if more convenient, they may be embedded into an existing server application in one of the supported languages.
The library has community support on Stack Overflow.
Price: by quoteja
With GoJS the user can craft diagrams consisted of complex Nodes, Links, and Groups easily with customizable templates and layouts.
GoJS normally runs completely in the browser, rendering to an HTML Canvas element or SVG without any server-side requirements. You can benefit from the populous community and great Northwoods Software support.
Implementing the GoJS library, the user can benefit from a whole bunch of advanced features such as:
- transactional state and undo management
- data-bound models
- event handlers
- an extensible tool system for custom operations
The library offers over 150 interactive samples to help you get started with diagrams such as BPMN, flowchart, state chart, visual trees, Sankey, and data flow. The API is very well documented to make sure you can start using it in a snap.
GoJS provider – NorthWoods – supports purchased software products via email and online forum.
Price: $ 6990
- Mixing and matching bar and line charts to provide a clear visual distinction between datasets.
- Operating on axes by plotting complex, sparse datasets on date time, logarithmic, or even entirely custom scales with ease.
- Introduction of the animated diagrams with out-of-the-box stunning transitions when changing data, colors update, and adding datasets.
- Creation of eight different types of fully customizable charts.
It features great rendering performance across all modern browsers thanks to HTML Canvas. Redrawing charts on window resize for perfect scale granularity is responsible for the full responsiveness.
- Bring data to life using HTML, SVG, and CSS.
- The library offers the full capabilities of modern browsers without tying to a proprietary framework.
- It supports a combination of powerful visualization components and a data-driven approach to DOM manipulation.
The main advantage of the D3.js library is its fast performance. It supports large datasets and dynamic behaviors for interaction and animation. Thanks to the functional style, the user can reuse the code through a diverse collection of official and community-developed modules.
D3.js library is licensed with great support from the providers in terms of reporting bugs or help assistance.
Price: free open source
yWorks specializes in the development of professional software solutions that enable the clear visualization of graphs, diagrams, and networks.
Among the products offered by yWorks, you can benefit from yFiles, which is the diagramming SDK for developers, diagram editors – a set of visual graph editing apps, and a variety of software tools for developers and graph users.
Main yWorks products characteristics are:
- Well-documented software development toolkit for visualizing, editing, and analyzing graphs
- Desktop and online diagram editors
- Enterprise features for teams, i.e., collaborative working functionalities and user rights management
- Automatic layout algorithms to arrange large data sets
Price: $ 49 400
Recharts is a composable charting library built on React components. Recharts delivers decoupled and reusable React components to quickly build charts.
As a reliable source, it is built on the top SVG elements with a lightweight dependency on D3 submodules. Recharts enables customization of your charts by tweaking component props and passing in custom components.
The Recharts supports various types of charts, such as:
- Composed charts
- Pie chart
- Funnel chart
- Area chart
- Radar chart
- Tree map
- Bar chart
- Radial bar chart
- Line chart
- Scatter chart
Recharts makes it easy to integrate into charts into React application.
Cytoscape.js is a highly optimized open-source graph theory/network library that can be used for graph analysis and visualization. The main features are:
- Compatibility with all modern browsers and fully (de)serializable via JSON.
- It includes algorithms for automatic layout, set theory, and graph theory, from BFS to PageRank.
- It allows to display and manipulate rich, interactive graphs.
- It includes all the out-of-the-box gestures, including pinch-to-zoom, box selection, or panning.
Cytoscape.js also has graph analysis in mind: The library contains many useful functions in graph theory. You can use Cytoscape.js headlessly on Node.js to do graph analysis in the terminal or on a web server.
React-vis is a React visualization library. React-vis components are designed to work just like other React components. They have properties, children, and callbacks.
The high-level and customization functionalities support creating complex charts with a minimum amount of code and sensible defaults. It enables the user to customize almost any aspect of the chart.
With the ReactVis it’s possible to handle numerous charts: area charts or treemaps to name just two.
ReactVis has many contributors at GitHub.
Price: free, open-source
Alone or with the agency?
The key is to ask yourself if you are going to start from scratch or reuse your tool as part of your need.
Of course, there are ready-made tools that can meet your expectations sufficiently on the market. Their functions, price, and technical support can be used to work with data and visualization or modeling. However, rethink if the tool you are using today does not need fine grinding.
However, you may be wondering when you should consider employing the data visualization agency. It could be a great support if you:
- lack of internal resources, i.e., the dev teams or UX designers
- complex tool’s or functionalities’ integrations
- lack of design team to improve or create an intuitive UI
- complications in the operational arrangements
The additional help can significantly extend the process of ranging over specific solutions.
Synergy Codes is a highly specialized software house that builds scalable data visualization solutions based on JS diagramming libraries. We deal with building 100% custom apps but also develop solutions for upgrading tools on the client’s side. Operating for over a decade, Product Design and Design teams prepare tools tailored to customer expectations.