What is Flow Chart?
A flow chart is a graphical representation of processes steps, in which every stage is represented by a different symbol and includes a short description of it. Symbols are connected with arrows to show the flow.
A flow chart is useful to shows stages in sequential order and is very common in presenting the flow of algorithms and workflows. Typically, the process stages are shown as boxes in different shapes and colors linked to each other.
The most popular flow chart symbols are:
- Terminator – oval box showing the start or end of the process,
- Process: rectangular box showing a regular process step,
- Decision: diamond-shaped box showing a branch in the flow,
- Connector: small circular box showing a jump in the flow,
- Data: parallelogram showing data input or output,
- Document: showing a document or report in the process.